Friday, January 16

On Creeping

I am a bit creepy. I have always been aware of it, but I have decided that today is the day to air my creepy laundry, so to speak.

Two examples:

1. Some girl I have neither met nor seen named Dani who lives in Texas somewhere. How do I know about this girl? Well, it all started back last year when Hannah and I decided to join the world of blogs (you all are welcome, by the way). When prompted to choose a blog address, my initial thought was to use danosaur.blogspot.com. Turns out, someone already was using it. Heinous, I know. After much deliberation, I finally settled on danidanosaur.blogspot.com (which, by the way, I am still not the biggest fan of...). Some three months later (I'm surprised it took me that long to do this), I typed danosaur.blogspot.com into the address bar, curious to see what kind of person was utilizing my preferred blog address. I was shocked to find a scripture from Alma in the Book of Mormon on her page. I couldn't believe it! Turns out the author is LDS too! Becoming more and more curious, I read all of her posts. Her blog is hilarious! I love it. I think that if I knew her in real life, we would be friends. Maybe. She might be creeped out by how much I know about her though...

2. Daniel C. Richards. I'm sorry for those of you who have heard this story multiple times. I can't help myself. I will go to my grave laughing about it...
Our story begins in the Fall of 2006. I was a bright-eyed freshman ready to explore all of the amenities that BYU had to offer (read: attractive men). When a copy of the student directory appeared outside of my door one night, I eagerly looked up every person I knew (which was like 4 at the time). Then I looked myself up. I don't know what prompted me to do this, but eventually I found the name of several Daniel Richardses. My full name is Danielle Christine Richards, so I was thoroughly thrilled to discover a boy by the name of Daniel C. Richards. In the directory. That had magically appeared outside of my door. Waiting for me to take action. So I did. I added his number to my contacts on my cell phone while I deliberated what exactly I should do with it. Months down the road (almost a year, actually), I went to call my friend, Daniel Quick. Imagine my surprise when my friend suddenly confesses that he has no recollection of me. I thought this was unusual and glanced down at my phone only to realize that I had accidentally called Daniel C. Richards. Yikes. When it came out that we had the exact same name (apparently he goes by Danny), he asked all kinds of probing questions like, "Why did you call me?", "Who are you?", and "How did you get this number?" It was awkward, to say the least. After coming up with the most convincing lie that I was capable of on the spot, we agreed to meet on campus during Fall semester of the next year (I was at home in Oregon at the time). I still have that number, but have never contacted him again. I'm thinking about texting him sometime though.

3 comments:

Ken and Meag said...

Oh Dan.
So happy to see that you haven't changed one bit. Thank you for updating! Please come visit us.
P.L.E.A.S.E.
We close next Wednesday. You can come on Thursday.
With love,
meggy

beth said...

haha Dani! This is amazing. I miss you. Let's hang out so very soon.

Rachel said...

Haha this is funny Dani. Don't worry, we ALL do it. :) Miss you!